Decatur Police conduct special patrols for holiday weekend
The Decatur Police Department says it's all hands on deck to enforce safe driving this St. Patrick's Day.
Police will conduct special patrols over the holiday weekend to crack down on drunk drivers.
The department says St. Patrick's Day is one of the deadliest holidays due to the number of drunk drivers on the road.
Remember, never drink and drive or designate a driver.
The following are some additional tips on how to stay safe over the holiday:
If you’re hosting a St. Patrick’s Day party:
· Remember, you can be held liable if someone you serve is involved in a drunk driving crash.
· Make sure your guests designate a sober driver in advance or help arrange ride-sharing with sober drivers.
· Serve plenty of food and non-alcoholic beverages.
· Keep phone numbers for local cab companies or your favorite ride-sharing app handy and take keys away from anyone who is thinking of driving drunk.
If you’re going out for St. Patrick’s Day:
· Designate a sober driver ahead of time and give that person your car keys.
· If you don’t have a designated driver, call a cab, use ride-sharing, have a sober friend or family member pick you up or stay where you are and sleep it off.
· Never let a friend leave your sight if you think they’re about to drive after drinking.
· Buckle up – it’s your best defense in a crash.