MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Good Samaritans help man to safety after home catches fire

While one man lost his house, his nearby neighbors rushed to help save his life. (WICS)

There is now just ashes where a house once stood.

While one man lost his house, his nearby neighbors rushed to help save his life.

The fire crews responded to the 1500 block of South Camp Butler Road early Thursday morning.

Neighbors said they got there first because they had just arrived in the neighborhood after finishing their shifts at work.

When they saw the smoke and flames, they knew they had to help and rushed to check if anyone was in the house.

"We just saw all the smoke and the flames, so we decided to pull over and dial 911. But he was already outside so we just helped him up and brought him over to his living room. It just means a lot and it also feels really good knowing that we helped a family save a loved one," Anna Hansen, one of the women who helped the resident get out alive said.

Hansen said her and her boyfriend originally saw the resident outside but then quickly helped him get to safety.

After speaking with the resident's caregiver, Lisa Rolstone, she said he is alert and currently in a hospital, but is ultimately expected to recover. She also said a GoFundMe has been set up to help with damage payments.

However, the actions that helped bring him to safety, is a reminder that kindness never takes a holiday.

Trending